Wednesday 19 March 2014

Cheap and Cheerful Lunchtime: Revolution


On Mondays, myself and my course mates have the day off University, and seeing as the sun was shining and everyone was in a fabulous mood, me and Aaron decided to head off for a nice lunch together. On deciding where to go we came up with two criteria that we wanted the place to adhere to: cheap and tasty. And boy did Revolution deliver! 


On Mondays they have a Mega Monday 50% Off menu. When I first saw the sign I thought 'yeah, that's all well and good, but I bet there's hardly any choice on the menu' - I was so wrong! The 50% off menu included a huge variety of delicious dishes from fish and chips to stone baked pizza. It basically includes their entire menu, which caused much anxiety for us as we attempted to choose between the variety of delicious-sounding dishes on the menu. In order to buy ourselves some more time to choose our main we ordered a bowl of nachos to share.


The nachos were topped with cheese, jalapeƱos, sour cream, guacamole and salsa (they aren't included in the 50% off deal, but we couldn't resist!). The nachos were nice, but not as nice as I have had in other restaurants. In all honesty they were quite dry as there was a distinct lack of dip and the cheese:chip ratio wasn't what I'd usually like. If anything I'd have just liked more salsa as I love a soggy tortilla chip! Having said that, we didn't complain and polished off the lot between us within probably about 50 seconds.

After much deliberation, I finally settled on the chicken, chorizo and pesto pappardelle and it was lush! The thick ribbon pasta was tossed in rosemary, chorizo and sun blushed tomatoes, covered in a creamy pesto sauce, and topped with sugar snap peas. From the first bite the flavours were intense and delicious. I loved the creamy pesto and the sugar snap peas gave an added texture which worked incredibly well with the soft pasta. I also liked the fact that the staff served the added parmesan cheese in a container with a spoon and didn't put it on my food themselves, this meaning I could add as much or as little cheese as I'd like (perfecto!). The only complaint that I have is that it was slightly over seasoned - the extra salt in the dish made me quite thirsty but it was totally worth it for the scrumptious flavour!


Aaron decided to try out the blackened chicken burger and quickly announced that it was beautiful. The burger consisted of two pan-fried chicken breasts, coated in a blend of herbs and spices, with salad, mayonnaise, and served with a portion of chips and coleslaw on the side. The chicken itself was succulent and flavoursome, and spiced very well. There was a seeming abundance of chicken and it took him a while to chomp through it all (which is unusual for him as he's pretty much the king of burgers). I have to mention though, that he absolutely fell in love with the chips! He usually dislikes pre-salted chips, but he adored these as they were seasoned to perfection! The chips were perfectly crispy and came with the skin of the potato still on, which added texture. 


In total we ordered 2 mains, a portion of nachos to share and 2 soft drinks and it came to £21.84 - a wonderfully delicious student friendly lunch! I would definitely recommend you visit Revs for food (not just for an intoxicated night of fun and frolics) as it's fabulous quality and such a great price. You can check out the menu here if you'd like to have a little look before trying for yourself.

Have you been to Revolution for lunch before?
What did you think of the food?






No comments:

Post a Comment