Wednesday 12 March 2014

My 20th Birthday: Dining at the Bosphorus Restaurant

I celebrated my 20th birthday on Tuesday surrounded by those that I love - what better way to see out your teenage years than with those special people who made your teens unforgettable? 

As I'm at University in Cardiff my parents decided to visit on the Saturday to go out for a birthday meal and get me a birthday present (a blog post about the lovely Bobbi Brown make-up products that they bought me will be posted within the week!) As a family we've holidayed in Turkey around 5 times, and absolutely love the cuisine, so naturally, when I heard fantastic things about the Bosphorus Restaurant in Cardiff Bay I couldn't wait to take them there to try it out! 


The location of the restaurant is stunning. It stands apart from the rest of the restaurants down at the bay as it is situated upon a jetty which pokes out into the water of the bay itself (as you can see from the image above). The glass walls provide stunning views across the bay and it was particularly gorgeous in the spring sunshine that we were lucky enough to have on the day! The restaurant itself is nice and spacious with a warm atmosphere - it was the perfect place for a little chin-wag with my parents over lunch. For food, we all opted for the 'healthy meal lunch' as it provided a selection of small dishes that would allow us to try out a range of their delicacies. The set meal is priced at £11.50 per person and I found it to be good value for money as it includes your starter and your main course! 

 

When the food arrived it came on one large plate. In Turkey dishes like this would have been served in multiple small bowls allowing everyone on the table to dip in and out of the foods they wished to sample - this didn't detract from the flavour of the food however. Each of us had humous, taramasalata, mixed nut salad, stuffed vine leaves, saksuka (a traditional middle-eastern tomato and aubergine dish), tzatziki (a yogurt based dish with mint and cucumber), a cheese and herb filled filo pastry, a lamb kebab, a chicken kebab and a Turkish meatball. The flavours of the food were really lovely - nothing in comparison to the food out in Turkey, but as good as you will find in this country. My faves on the plate had to be the cheese and herb filled filo pastry and the Turkish meatballs, they were stunning and had a perfect balance of flavour! One thing I love about Turkish cuisine is their ability to get portion sizes absolutely right. I ate the lot, was suitably full but not overly so - perfect for a pre-shopping meal! Of course we washed our lunch down with a couple of Efes beers (a Turkish-brand beer that my Dad absolutely loves) and a bottle of pink champagne to toast to my birthday.

On the day of my actual birthday I celebrated with my friends at my favourite night of the week (Sync at Revs!) A few free bottles of free champagne and some intoxicated dancing with my besties, what more could a girl want? Of course, being totally spoilt by my housemates with a gorgeous new dress was the cherry on top of the cake!




Have you tried the Bosphorus Restaurant? 
What's your favourite Cardiff night out of the week?
I look forward to reading your comments :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment