Monday 17 March 2014

Weekend Treat: Bill's Restaurant


To kick start the rugby weekend, me and my bestie Cari, decided to head off for lunch at Bill's Restaurant on Mill Lane in Cardiff City Centre. The food was absolutely delicious and such good value for money! 

Bill's is a chain restaurant which kick-started when Bill's fruit and veg stall was damaged by flooding in 2000. He reopened his stall as a sit-in restaurant that served fresh food from local produce and it swiftly became incredibly popular. And so the chain was born… 

I have to say, however, if Cari wouldn't have told me it was a chain restaurant I never would have guessed. It doesn't have the mass-produced feel of a TGI Fridays or Pizza Express. The atmosphere is cosy, welcoming and almost home-like, and its decor reflects this with its mish-mash of comfy arm chairs, wacky wall decorations and witty blackboards. 

The food is simplistic yet bursting with mouth-watering flavours - the perfect combination in my eyes. I was also surprised (and elated) to discover that Bill's offer large ranging breakfast, afternoon tea, children's and lunch and dinner menus - I would happily spend an entire day there sampling all the different menu options! 

After much deliberation and debate, I finally settled on having the 'Bill's Hamburger' with added cheese (priced at £9.95 with the monterey jack cheese being an additional £1.20). The burger was served in a sesame seed bun with red onion, tomato, lettuce, horseradish mayonnaise and skinny fries and it was blummin' marvellous! The burger itself was succulent and the horseradish mayonnaise added a lovely additional flavour which I've never sampled before. The chips were cooked to perfection (not too crispy, just how I love them!) and were in a perfect portion size. I would definitely recommend! 


Cari ended up having the slow cooked BBQ pork ribs (which I drooled over when they came out of the kitchen!) that were served with classic creamy coleslaw and sweet potato fries. Priced at £13.95, it may seem a bit steep at first, but when you see the portion size it is totally good value for money. I didn't sample the pork myself but from the rate that it was devoured I'd have said it was pretty delicious! The sweet potato fries were gorgeously sweet and so well seasoned that I was tempted to order a portion for myself (greedy I know, but they were just so good!)


Overall we had a lovely meal together and the helpful and approachable staff made us feel completely comfortable and relaxed within the restaurant. A really nice place for a bit of lunch and a catch up with friends and family. Oh, and I have to mention that our meal was made so much better with a sighting of George North who was eating at the Bill's too! Starting off the rugby weekend with a full belly and spotting a hunk of an international rugby player, what more could a girl want?

Have you tried out a Bill's Restaurant before?
What were your experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment